When you view a traditional “fixed” website on a desktop computer, the website might show three columns. Try viewing that same layout on a smartphone or tablet device, it will force you to scroll horizontally. Sucks, doesn’t it? Or you could just view it on landscape mode on your mobile devices. Nah! Why should you?
Here is where “responsive web design” comes to play. Your tablet will automatically adjust to display just two columns. That way, the content is readable and easy to navigate. On your smartphone, the content might appear as a single column, perhaps stacked vertically. Images will resize of course. But for the size of your screen, it will adapt perfectly.
How Does Responsive Web Design Work?
- Responsive sites use fluid grids. All page elements are sized by proportion, rather than pixels.
- Media such as images is also resized relatively. That way an image can stay within its column or relative design element.
Why YOUR BUSINESS MUST Switch to Responsive Web Design?
- Many people are using mobile devices to surf the internet today (image your customers?)
- Increase reach to customers and clients on smaller devices (tablets & smartphones)
- A consistent experience that can increase lead generation, sales and conversions
- Analytics, tracking, and reporting can all be in one place
- Time and cost on-site content management is decreased
- Stay ahead of the competition (even 44% of Fortune 500 companies are not mobile-ready at this time!)